On Sunday we went to the Desert Botanical Gardens. It was quite the challenge getting there as the PF Chang Marathon was taking place on the main drag that gets you to the gardens. The GPS's insisted we had to take Van Buren Blvd; only problem was that Van Buren was buried in runners. After about three trips around the same block, I finally pulled out the smartphone Google Maps and discovered another main route that appeared to go right to the gardens. Sure enough, we were there in a snap, ignoring the GPS telling us to "make a legal U-turn" and whining "recalculating". = )

This was an experiment which turned out kind of cool. It was a viewing tube aimed at this cactus. I stuck the camera in it and was able to get this picture. I only wish the view was a more exciting cactus. I'm sure there is some kind of significance with this cactus, it is probably 300 years old or something considering they had a tube there just so we would look at it. To me, it looked like all the others.

There is a sad irony that this was probably my favorite cactus. There are three of these structures outside the Gardens, they are designed by and made by Dale Chihuly.

Here's our group for the day. Left to right is Linda, Brenda, Sarah, Courtney, Rene, Niambh, Joshua, Leah, Kerri, Tina and myself, in a semi-crouch that makes it look like I had to pee. Ha!

It was a beautiful day with wonderful friends and I was glad to not be in Washington with all of the flooding. It never ceases to amaze me how this group of parents can meet each other and within minutes feel like we are life-long friends. We immediately seem to gel and this happens over and over at every retreat and mini-retreat. Awesome!
No comments:
Post a Comment